Monday, April 1, 2013

Baptism Testimony

 I was baptized yesterday and wanted to share the short testimony I gave in front of the church.  I understand not all of my friends/followers are believers, but this isn't a place for religious debate.  Just be happy that a peer of yours has found some peace in his life. Thank you.

"I'm 26 years old and I haven't always been a Christian.  In fact, from the time I was 11 years old until I was 25, my life was.. I'll say, "lacking light."  I say that because I don't believe that darkness exists.  Darkness is only the lack of light because, when it's shed, light ALWAYS overcomes. Go strike a match in a room with no light and you'll witness the darkness cowardly flee.  For 14 years, my life was plagued with drugs, alcohol, anger, resentment, and lust.

SO, what did it take me to finally let God into my life?... struggle.  That's what brought me here today and led me to becoming a Christian.  It was just about a year ago when my life changed forever.

On March 17th, 2012, around 2 PM, one of my best friends, Matt brady, and my cousin, Kenzie Rife, visited me at the fish farm.  They brought me lunch and I gave them a tour of my workplace.  I'll never forget the looks on their faces when checking out all the fish and alligator, they were like children in the toy aisle at Wal-Mart.  It was time to go.. We exchanged hugs and they left.  That same night, around 11PM, I received a phone call.  Matt and Kenzie had been in an accident hours after leaving the farm, taking them both.  I was confused and I felt destroyed.  "How could this happen to those two," I kept asking myself.  For the first time in my life, I began looking for God, but I didn't necessarily leave my heart open for Him. Why wasn't I getting any answers from God?! "Where IS He," I kept asking.

A few short weeks after, Carla Renee visited home from college while I was house sitting for her parents.  We weren't dating at the time, just friends. Here, she told me the news that she was pregnant.  At first, I paused in anger and confusion. My mind raced, I wanted to scream.  She cried, but suddenly and seemlingly out of nowhere, my heart was overwhelmed with the light of God.  This was the first time I ever felt His presence in my heart and that moment has forever changed me.  "Everything will be alright," I could feel Him telling me. Within weeks of one another, I experienced the loss and the gain of life.  Within weeks of each other, these events led me to walk with Christ and faith became the rock, the foundation of my life. 

I battle temptation everyday, but battling that temptation and working to overcome it rather than succumbing to it.. to me, that's what being a Christian is about.  It's a daily battle to take up our cross & make the right choices, yet also the realization and acceptance that we are imperfect.  I'd like to thank my family, the Stoltzfus family, and every person here today for helping me along this journey. You are all truly great people.  Here I am, ready to begin the rest of my life as part of the Christian community, faith, and as a follower of Christ."



Until next time....


Check me out on Twitter: @PrallyD









No comments:

Post a Comment